The other day I was waiting patiently in line at the grocery store when I noticed something that I found sadly hilarious.
Two different drink shots full of I-don’t-know-what. One to relax you and help you sleep. One to hype you up and get you through the day. (The soothing colors verses the bright colors was quite a nice touch, don’t you think?) Is this what we’ve come to? The (temporary) answers to all your problems come in cute little bottles for sale by checkout counters all across America? “I don’t have time to sleep. I need to go, go, go. Where’s my 5 Hour Energy stash?” “I’m so stressed and wired. Can’t sleep. I need some Dream Water a.s.a.p.”
Maybe, just maybe, if we slowed down a little and enjoyed life we wouldn’t need to load our bodies with this stuff constantly. Got that “2:30 feeling” again? How about not being awake at 2:30 am for no reason whatsoever the night before a busy day. Can’t sleep a wink when you do finally hit the hay? Maybe it’s the 2 gallons of Starbucks you guzzled this week.
Don’t get me wrong, chemistry is cool and all, but are we using it to try and fix problems that have much simpler, healthier solutions?
In over your head and completely worn out? Maybe all you need is…
- a day off, a cleared calendar, and a good book. (I just started Crazy Love, and it is indescribably awesome.)
- a trip to your favorite childhood spot. (Zoo = personal favorite.)
- a weekend of crafting with your best friend. (Just don’t fall into the crafting-black-hole, also known as Pinterest, as I often do. Actually get to a project.)
- a night of good music and star gazing. (I suggest Journey or Michael Buble. Many stress filled late nights at college are spent this way.)
- to find a hammock and lay in it so long you feel like a part of it. (Sadly, you’ll eventually have to return to real life.)
- to sit down and have a chat with a little kid. You will definitely learn something. (Don’t just find a random kid, though. That could be a bad, bad plan…)
- to write a blog post about the randomness that is our world. (Bet you can’t guess which one I chose tonight.)
Try one (or more!), I dare you.
Also, on a side note, as I was reading back over this I noticed all of the brand name references. I swear I’m not getting a kickback for the product placement. Although, that would be pretty cool, I must say.